Saturday, September 19, 2009

Cloth Napkins:How I made them


Supplies- sewing machine,iron (not totally necessary but helpful), scissors,rotary cutter, cutting mat/template

materials- 100% cotton I used 4 yards total (1 blue,1 green, and 2 gray), thread to match or not match if you want, go crazy


Getting started-
I have a cutting mat that is 12 inches square and i used that as the template to cut out the napkin shapes figuring that the extra edges on the mat would be what I used for my seams, that way they would come out just about 12 inches square, but I never did measure them once they were done.
I am lazy so i just folded up the fabric and cut all 3 layers at once after the first cut an I relized how long it was going to take me to cut out all the squares.
I ended up being able to cut 9 napkins out of each yard, for a total of 36 napkins, which may seam like a lot but I am not that great at being prompt on the whole laundering things that I don't need to wear like right now so, I made enough for a few weeks (only my sister and I use them on a regular biases so they last pretty long)

I started to iron down all of the seams on all the napkins but then I realized that I didn't really care if all the seems where exactly even and straight since I had a bunch to make and they were for degopping our our hands anyway so I ended up just ironing them all flat so at least they weren't to puckered but if I made them again I probably wont iron them, so do as you please.

This is the one that I actually ironed down the seams on, I used a zigzag stitch, but again I don't know if that was totally needed, but they have held up well and not frayed past the stitch.


I just went around each corner by keeping the needle in the napkin but lifting the foot and turning, it worked well on my machine and my corners look pretty good.




I did not wash the material before I sewed the napkins, but I did before I used them. I washed them with towels and sheets figuring that's what they would probably usually be washed with any way. There where a stringy mess of frays and such when I first got them out, and I had to trim up each one, but they have not frayed since so I figure the time was well spent and I was watching a trash episode of The O.C. on DVD so it went by pretty fast. We have used them on everything from water to pizza grease and they have worked great.

No comments: